Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Merry Christmas to All!


It's that time of year, when media, celebrity, and advertising dictate what we're supposed to think and do and how we're supposed to speak. Then, those who actually believe that media, celebrity, and advertising are in control of their lives, use social media to defend their own beliefs and opinions, causing those who have differing or opposing opinions to feel offended and label the offending posters as bigoted, narrow minded, racist, and intolerant. So they all end up feeling that anyone with different beliefs or opinions is evil and bent on destroying the society that they know and love.


 I realize that this doesn't just happen at Christmastime, but it seems to balloon out of control a little more so at Christmastime. Obviously, I believe in Christ and Christmas, and love and joy, and Santa and giving ... all those nice things. I cannot recall anyone to whom I said "Merry Christmas" telling me that the phrase offended him or her, or acting in any way to indicate that the phrase was offensive. Adversely, I have never been offended by anyone greeting me with any pleasant phrase, be it "Happy Hanukkah," "Happy Holidays," "Joyeux Noel," or "Have a Nice Day!"

One of my classmates in elementary school was a Jehovah's Witness. He was excused from saying the Pledge of Allegiance, as well as excused from the classroom Christmas party, and the school Thanksgiving and Christmas programs. Another classmate was a Jew, and he was excused from class for Jewish holidays. Both of these boys were off school when everyone else was, for Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation, because the school was closed. I don't recall thinking anyone was being mistreated or offended in any way. I don't recall anyone telling me that what either of these boys believed was wrong or evil. I don't recall anyone ever telling me that it was wrong for me to participate in a classroom Christmas party from which any of my classmates were being excluded.

One of the things that I'm seeing a lot about on Facebook this week are people professing that they are going to say "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". It seems to me that this issue was created by the media, celebrity, and advertising. As I said before, I don't recall ever being chastised by anyone because I said "Merry Christmas." And I don't believe I have ever jumped down anyone's throat for not saying "Merry Christmas" or for greeting me with any pleasant greeting. To me, it seems that insisting that everyone say "Merry Christmas," is just as bad as insisting that everyone refrain from saying "Merry Christmas." Why is this a topic of discussion?

The other thing that has been popping up among my FB friends is outrage about the cast of "Kinky Boots", a Broadway musical (I guess), performing a number from the show, during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Some people are talking about how Macy's was wrong for allowing that to be shown on TV. I have never seen the parade in person; I've only watched it on TV. I kind of lost interest in it several years ago, when it seemed to become a vehicle for Broadway, rather than an actual parade. To me, a parade is floats, marching bands, and balloons. I could not find anything about the "Kinky Boots" performance on the official website for the parade, which leads me to believe that the Broadway numbers are presented by NBC, not Macy's. I think anyone who watches the parade live sees the actual parade and not anything that goes on at Herald Square, which is where all the Broadway numbers happen. The website tells visitors to avoid Herald Square, because the view there is terrible, due to the television cameras. This causes another light to go off above my head, indicating that the "Kinky Boots" show was just for TV viewers. That being the case, how is Macy's to blame? If you're unhappy with the way the parade was presented by NBC, then complain to NBC. And if you think what NBC is broadcasting is inappropriate for your children, the other networks broadcast actual footage from other parades around the country. You can also watch parades all over the country on the Internet.

So, Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas, to one and all. May this lovely season fill your heart with joy and your life with blessings!

Teah



No comments:

Post a Comment